Monday, November 23, 2009

At last I'm a Puerto Rican Lace maker!

Today dad brought me back to my home after spending last week with him. While driving to Carolina I told him if we can drive through Old San Juan (PR's capital). I love to visit Old San Juan with the colonial houses and monuments. And while in San Juan I mentioned dad to check if I can meet my friend Romulo Otero, who works on the Cultural Institute of PR. He has been helping me to get a membership as part of the Institute as a lacemaker, specially with Tatting. Well, we were able to meet with him and it was a blessing!!! He went to talk with the person in charge of approving the artisans and I was #3 on the list. But because the government fired a lot of people, they were going to start calling in January of 2010. Romulo talked with the person in charge that I was already in the office and that I got with me my work and all and she agree to see me. After a short evaluation of some work I did during my week at dad's and an interview she opened my folder and added me to the list of Artisans.

What means all this? This means that I'm a recognized Artisan by the government of PR under the category of Lacemaking. Also that I'm dedicated to the preservation of the Puerto Rican culture through my art and I can represent PR out of the island in anything related to my expertise. Also is an honor because I'm the 1st tatter on the island to get membership on the Institute. It's not easy to become an Artisan now a day. They ask for a lot of details of the work, and we must try, by all means, to use materials made in PR, which is almost impossible because now a day almost everything comes from China! But at least some of the threads can be buy here in local yarn shops. One thing they ask me was to avoid "commercial" licensed characters (Disney, Pooh, Santa Claus, etc) because they are not from PR. Anyway I don't make anything related to them because my tatting is more of an abstract and geometrical form. Also told me that though they are accepting works with beads, they want me to make them not the principal items of my work and to give more emphasis to baby dresses and stuff like that.

So, after over 2 years of trying to get into the Institute at last I was made member today! I'm just so, so happy. Alhamdulillah!!! Thanks God!!!

6 comments:

Tatman said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an honor for you and for PR!

Valerie said...

Congrats, Wally! Good for you! Your hard work is paying off. All the best!

~Hugs

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Wally! That is wonderful news! I agree with Tatman...it IS an honor both for you and for PR!

Fox said...

How wonderful for you! Congratulations!
Fox : )

Gina said...

I know I'm late with this but Congratulations! You'll be a wonderful representative!

Tat-a-Renda said...

Alhamdulillah, all your hard work has come to fruit. I am so happy for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails